The Cooper Library
Cooper Library was named after Robert Muldrow Cooper. Cooper served on Clemson’s Board of Trustees starting in 1922 and then in 1951 he became President of the Board of Trustees and had the position until his death in 1966. After his death the board unanimously voted to have the new library that was being built named after Cooper.
Groundbreaking for the new library began in 1964 and by 1966 the library opened with three levels available for student use and a fourth level that was the basement. Each level of the library was larger than the old library on campus. In 1978 another level was opened above the ground floor and then another level in 1980 was finished. This added up to the six levels that stand today for students to use for studying and research. A reading porch was added and can still be seen wrapping around the fourth floor of the library, which is the floor that people enter on.
Cooper Library was developed with a one entrance, one exit system in mind to minimize the amount of things that could be stolen like books and things they rent out now like movies and equipment to help with classes. Students can check out things like game systems, cameras, drones, tablets, and cables and accessories for computers. It also contains the Adobe Studio that opened in 2014 making Clemson the first school to have full access to the Adobe Studio available for students and faculty.